Lorius is a genus of lorikeet in the parrot family Psittacidae. The genus contains six species that are distributed from the Moluccas in Indonesia through New Guinea to the Solomon Islands. They have characteristic red plumage with varying amounts of blue (and in some yellow and white), green wings, and in all but one species a black crown. The bills is orange and the feet are grey.
It contains the following species and subspecies:
Lorius Vigors 1825
- Lorius garrulus (Linnaeus 1758) - Chattering Lory
- Lorius garrulus flavopalliatus Salvadori 1877
- Lorius garrulus garrulus (Linnaeus 1758)
- Lorius garrulus morotaianus (Bemmel 1940)
- Lorius domicella (Linnaeus 1758) - Purple-naped Lory
- Lorius lory' (Linnaeus 1758) - Black-capped Lory
- Lorius lory cyanauchen (Muller, S 1841)
- Lorius lory erythrothorax Salvadori 1877
- Lorius lory jobiensis (Meyer, AB 1874)
- Lorius lory lory (Linnaeus 1758)
- Lorius lory salvadorii Meyer, AB 1891
- Lorius lory somu (Diamond 1967)
- Lorius lory viridicrissalis Beaufort 1909
- Lorius hypoinochrous Gray, GR 1859 - Purple-bellied Lory
- Lorius hypoinochrous devittatus Hartert 1898
- Lorius hypoinochrous hypoinochrous Gray, GR 1859
- Lorius hypoinochrous rosselianus Rothschild & Hartert 1918
- Lorius albidinucha (Rothschild & Hartert 1924) - White-naped Lory
- Lorius chlorocercus Gould 1856 - Yellow-bibbed Lory
|Species of Lorius in taxonomic sequence|
|Common and binomial names||Image||Description||Range|
||30 cm (12 in) long. Mostly red with an all red head and orange beak. The eyerings are grey and the irises are orange-red. The wings are green and the angle of the wing and thighs are yellow. The tail is tipped with dark green. A yellow patch on the back is variable depending on subspecies.||Three subspecies endemic to North Maluku of Indonesia|
||28 cm (11 in) long. Mostly red with black on top of head and green wings. Yellow transverse band on upper chest and a crescent-shaped black patch on each side of neck. Thighs blue.||Monotypic species living in the eastern Solomon Islands.|
||31 cm (12 in) long. Appearance varies with subspecies. Mostly red with black on top of head and bronze-green wings. Blue under-tail coverts.||Seven subspecies endemic to New Guinea and several Papuan islands|
||26 cm (10 in) long. Mostly red with black on top of head and green wings. White cere. Purple thighs and underparts. The mainly red tail feathers have dark green-blue tips.||New Guinea|
||26 cm (10 in) long. Mostly red with black on top of head and white on back of neck. Green wings. Narrow yellow transverse line on each side of body below neck.||New Ireland, Papua New Guinea|
||28 cm (11 in) long. Mostly red with black on top of head and purple on back of neck. It has green wings, blue thighs, and a variable approximately transverse yellow band across the chest. Its tail fades to a darker red towards to tip.||Seram and Ambon Indonesia|
- "Zoological Nomenclature Resource: Psittaciformes (Version 9.022)". www.zoonomen.net. 2009-03-28.
- Forshaw (2006). plate 17.
- Forshaw (2006). plate 16.
- "Species factsheet: Lorius domicella". BirdLife International (2008). Retrieved 23 December 2009. Unknown parameter
- Forshaw, Joseph M. (2006). Parrots of the World; an Identification Guide. Illustrated by Frank Knight. Princeton University Press. ISBN 0691092516.
|వికీమీడియా కామన్స్ లో లోరియస్ కి సంబంధించిన మీడియా వుంది.|