ఒక రచయిత వెంటవెంటనే చేసే తిరుగుసేతలన్నిటినీ ఒకే తిరుగుసేతగా ఈ నియమం గుర్తిస్తుంది.
Since the rule is intended to prevent edit warring, reverts which are clearly not such will not breach the rule. Since edit warring [[Wikipedia:Revert only when necessary|is considered harmful]], exceptions to the rule will be construed narrowly.
Since reverting in this context means undoing the actions of another editor or editors, reverting your own actions ("self-reverting") will not violate the rule.
There are other instances where multiple reverts may not constitute a breach of this policy:
* reverts to remove '''[[Wikipedia:Vandalism#Types of vandalism|simple and obvious vandalism]]''', such as graffiti or page blanking -- this exception applies ''only'' to the most simple and obvious vandalism, the kind that is immediately apparent to anyone reviewing the last edit. It is not sufficient if the vandalism is simply apparent to those contributing to the article, those familiar with the subject matter, or those removing the vandalism itself. (For other, less obvious forms of vandalism, please see [[Wikipedia:Administrator intervention against vandalism]] or [[Wikipedia:Administrators' noticeboard/Incidents]]);
* reverts to remove clear [[Wikipedia:Copyright violations|copyright violations]] or clearly [[Wikipedia:Libel|libelous material]];
* reverts to remove unsourced or poorly sourced controversial material about living persons (see [[Wikipedia:Biographies of living persons]]);
* reverts to undo actions performed by [[Wikipedia:Banning policy|banned users]] or [[Wikipedia:Blocking policy|currently blocked users]] evading their block; and
* reverts done by a user within his or her own [[Wikipedia:User page|user space]], provided that such reverts do not restore copyright violations, libelous material, or other kinds of [[WP:USER#What_can_I_not_have_on_my_user_page.3F|inappropriate content]] enumerated in this policy or elsewhere.
Any of these actions may still be controversial; thus, it is only in the clearest cases that they will be considered exceptions to the rule. '''When in doubt, do not revert'''; instead, engage in [[Wikipedia:Resolving disputes|dispute resolution]] or ask for [[Wikipedia:Administrators' noticeboard|administrative assistance]].
Note that in the case of vandalism, [[Wikipedia:Blocking policy|blocking]] editors who have engaged in vandalism or [[Wikipedia:Protection policy|protecting]] the page in question will often be better than reverting. Similarly, blocking or page protection will often be preferable in the case of repeated addition of copyrighted material.