మాన్ బుకర్ బహుమతి (Man Booker Prize) లేదా బుకర్ బహుమతి (Booker Prize) ఆంగ్ల సాహిత్యంలో పూర్తి నిడివి ఉత్తమ నవలకు ప్రతి సంవత్సరం కామన్వెల్త్ దేశాలు, ఐర్లాండు మరియు జింబాబ్వే దేశాలకు చెందిన రచయితలకు ఇచ్చే పురస్కారం.
ఈ బహుమతి దానిని స్పాన్సర్ చేసిన సంస్థ అయిన బుకర్-మెక్ కోనెల్ (Booker-McConnell) పేరు మీద బుకర్-మెక్ కోనెల్ బహుమతిగా 1968 సంవత్సరంలో మొదలైంది. అయితే బుకర్ బహుమతిగానే ప్రసిద్ధిచెందింది. దీని నిర్వహణ 2002 సంవత్సరంలో 'బుకర్ బహుమతి ఫౌండేషన్'కు బదిలీ చేయబడింది. దీనిని స్పాన్సర్ చేసిన మాన్ గ్రూపు (Man Group) బుకర్ పేరును ఉంచి ముందు తమ పేరును చేర్చి మాన్ బుకర్ బహుమతి అధికార నామంగా మార్చింది. అంతకు ముందు ఇచ్చే £21,000 పౌండ్ల బహుమతి మొత్తాన్ని £50,000కి పెంచింది. చాలా బాగా ఉన్నది.
బుకర్ బహుమతి గ్రహీతలు [మార్చు]
బుకర్ గణాంకాలు [మార్చు]
- Each publisher's imprint may submit two titles. In addition, previous winners of the prize and those who have been shortlisted in the previous ten years are automatically considered. Books may also be called in: publishers can make written representations to the judges to consider titles in addition to those already entered. In the 21st century the average number of books considered by the judges has been approximately 130.
- The list of books making the longlist was first released in 2001. In 2003 there were 23 books on the longlist, in 2002 there were 20 and in 2001 there were 24.
- For the first 35 years of the Booker, there were only five years when fewer than six books were on the shortlist, and two years (1980 and 1981) when there were seven on the shortlist.
- As of (2003):
- Over the first 35 years there were a total of 201 novels from 135 authors on the shortlists.
- Of the 97 novelists nominated once, there were 13 winners and three joint winners.
- Of the 19 novelists nominated twice, there were seven winners and one two-time winner (J. M. Coetzee).
- Of the 10 novelists nominated three times, there were four winners, one joint winner and one two-time winner (Peter Carey).
- Of the six four-time nominees, all but William Trevor have won once. The other four-time nominees are Kazuo Ishiguro, Ian McEwan, Salman Rushdie, Thomas Keneally and Penelope Fitzgerald.
- There have only been two five-time nominees, Margaret Atwood (first nominated in 1986 and won in 2000) and Beryl Bainbridge (nominated twice in the 1970s and three times in the 1990s, but she has never won).
- There has been only one six-time nominee, Iris Murdoch, who won on her fourth nomination in 1978 and was nominated twice more in the 1980s.
- The prize is only open to authors from countries within the Commonwealth. The only exception to this is Ireland. Irish authors have always been considered for the prize even though Ireland is not a member of the Commonwealth.
- Including authors with dual citizenship, the United Kingdom has the most winners of the prize at 24. Second is Australia with six winners (counting both Coetzee and Carey twice); Ireland and India each have four winners.
- 'Best of the Booker' pits Rushdie against 40 pretenders | News | guardian.co.uk Books
- "Rushdie wins Best of Booker prize", BBC News, 10 July 2008
- Coetzee was born and raised in South Africa and won both of his Bookers prior to his emigration to Australia in 2003.
బయటి లింకులు [మార్చు]
- The official website of the Man Booker Prize
- Awardees of Booker Prize per year
- A primer on the Man Booker Prize and critical review of literature.
- The most honoured Booker shortlisted books
- The Booker Prize: Matters of judgment": Hermione Lee on judging the Booker when Salman Rushdie won, from TLS, October 22, 2008.