2008 లో రావు చిత్రం
10 మార్చి 1932 |
అడమూరు, ఉడుఇ, భారత దేశము
|మరణం||జూలై 24, 2017
|రంగములు||అంతరిక్ష విజ్ఞానం మరియు ఉపగ్రహ సాంకేతిక పరిజ్ఞానం.|
|విద్యాసంస్థలు||Indian Space Research Organisation
Physical Research Laboratory
|ప్రసిద్ధి||Indian Space Program|
|ముఖ్యమైన అవార్డులు||Padma Bhushan (1976)|
ఆయన 1976 లో ప్రతిష్ఠాత్మకమైన పద్మభూషన్ పురస్కారాన్ని భారత ప్రభుత్వంచే అందుకున్నారు. ఆయన వాషింగ్టన్ లోని శాటిలైట్ హాల్ ఆఫ్ ఫ్రేంలో మార్చి 19,2013 న జరిగిన సొసైటీ ఆఫ్ శాటిలైట్ ప్రొఫెషనల్స్ ఇంటర్నేషనల్ సంస్థ యొక్క సమావేశంలో ప్రవేశపెట్టారు. దీనితో ఆయన అందులో ప్రవేశించిన మొదటి భారతీయుడుగా చరిత్రపుటల్లోకెక్కాడు.
ఆయన భారతదేశము లోని కర్ణాటక రాష్ట్రంలో అడమరులో జన్మించారు. ఆయన తండ్రి లక్షీనారాయణ తల్లి కృష్ణవేణి అమ్మ. ఆయన ప్రాథమిక విద్యను అడమూరులో పూర్తిచేశారు. ఉడిపి లోని క్రిస్టియన్ పాఠశాలలో ఉన్నత విద్యను పూర్తి చేశారు. అనంతపురం లోని ప్రభుత్వ ఆర్ట్స్ మరియు సైన్స్ కళాశాలలో బి.యస్సీ డిగ్రీని పొందారు. బెనారస్ హిందూ విశ్వవిద్యాలయమందు ఎం.యస్.సి చేశారు. అహ్మదాబాద్లో ఫిజికల్ లాబొరేటరీలో పి.హెచ్.డిని చేశారు. పి.హె.డిని డా.విక్రమ సారభాయి గారి అధ్వర్యంలో పూర్తి చేశారు.
- Ph.D. – గుజరాత్ విశ్వవిద్యాలయం, భారతదేశము, 1960
- M.Sc. - బనారస్ హిందూ విశ్వవిద్యాలయం, భారతదేశము, 1954
- B.Sc. - మద్రాసు విశ్వవిద్యాలయం, భారతదేశము, 1952
After working as a Faculty Member at MIT and Assistant Professor at University of Texas at Dallas where he carried out investigations as a prime experimenter on a number of Pioneer and Explorer spacecraft,[ఆధారం కోరబడింది] Rao returned to India in 1966 as a professor at the Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad.
Rao started his career as a cosmic ray scientist, under the Dr Vikram Sarabhai, which work he continued at MIT. In association with the JPL Group, he was the first to establish the continuous nature of the solar wind and its effect on geomagnetism using Mariner 2 observations. Rao's experiments on a number of Pioneer and Explorer spacecraft led to a complete understanding of the solar cosmic ray phenomena and the electromagnetic state of the interplanetary space. Convinced of the imperative need to use space technology for rapid development, Rao undertook the responsibility for the establishment of satellite technology in India in 1972. Under his guidance, beginning with the first Indian satellite "Aryabhata" in 1975, over 18 satellites including Bhaskara, APPLE, Rohini, INSAT-1 and INSAT-2 series of multipurpose satellites and the IRS-1A and IRS-1B remote sensing satellites were designed, fabricated and launched for providing communication, remote sensing and meteorological services.
As Chairman of ISRO[మార్చు]
After taking charge as Chairman, Space Commission and Secretary, Department of Space in 1985, Rao accelerated the development of rocket technology  resulting in the successful launch of ASLV rocket in 1992. He was also responsible for the development of the operational PSLV launch vehicle, which successfully launched a 850 kg. satellite into a polar orbit in 1995. Rao initiated the development of the geostationary launch vehicle GSLV and the development of cryogenic technology in 1991. He was responsible for successful launch of INSAT satellites during his stint at ISRO. The launch of INSAT satellites gave a thrust to communications in India, during the 1980s and 1990s. The successful launch of INSAT provided telecommunication links to remote corners of India. During these decades fixed telephone (called as landline) expanded throughout country due to availability of satellite links at different places in the ground. People could talk easily from anywhere by use of STD (Subscriber Trunk Dialing) instead of waiting for hours to get the connection.[ఆధారం కోరబడింది] This development played a key role in future for India to develop as an Information Technology hub. He was the first Chairman of Antrix Corporation.
- జాతీయ అవార్డులు
- 1975 Karnataka Rajyotsava Award
- 1975 Hari Om Vikram Sarabhai Award
- 1975 Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award in the Space science & technology field
- 1976 Padma Bhushan
- 1980 National Design Award
- 1980 Vasvik Research Award in the Electronic Sciences & Technology field
- 1983 Karnataka Rajyotsava Award
- 1987 PC Mahalnobis Medal
- 1993 Om Prakash Bhasin Award in the Energy & Aerospace field
- 1993 Meghnad Saha Medal
- 1994 P.C. Chandra Puraskar Award
- 1994 Electronics Man of the Year Award by ELCINA
- 1995 Zaheer Hussain Memorial Award
- 1995 Aryabhata Award
- 1995 Jawaharhal Nehru Award
- 1996 SK Mitra Birth Centenary Gold Medal
- 1997 Yudhvir Foundation Award
- 1997 Rabindranath Tagore Award of Viswa Bharati University
- 1999 Gujar Mal Modi Award for Science & Technology
- 2001 Nadoja Award from Kannada University, Hampi
- 2001 Life Time Contribution Award in Engineering of INAE
- 2002 Sir M. Visvesvaraya Memorial Award
- 2003 Press Bureau of India Award
- 2004 Star of India Award from Vishwabharathy Foundation, Hyderabad
- 2004 Special Award 2004, Karnataka Media Academy
- 2005 Bharat Ratna Rajiv Gandhi Outstanding Leadership Award
- 2007 Life Time Achievement Award of Indian Space Research Organisation
- 2007 Distinguished Scientist Gold Medal of the Karnataka Science & Technology Academy.
- 2007 Vishwamanava Award by Vishwamanava Samsthe
- 2007 A.V. Rama Rao Technology Award
- 2008 Jawaharlal Nehru Birth Centenary Award for 2007-2008 from ISCA
- అంతర్జాతీయ అవార్డులు
- 1973 Group Achievement Award by NASA, USA
- 1975 Medal of Honour by Academy of Sciences, USSR
- 1991 Yuri Gagarin Medal of USSR
- 1992 Allan D Emil Award on International Cooperation
- 1994 Frank J Malina Award (International Astronautical Federation) 
- 1996 Vikram Sarabhai Medal of COSPAR
- 1997 Outstanding Book Award of the International Academy of Astronautics for the Book Space Technology for Sustainable Development
- 2000 Eduard Dolezal Award of ISPRS
- 2004 Space News magazine named him as one of the Top 10 International personalities who have made a substantial difference in civil, commerce and military space in the world since 1989
- 2005 Theodore Von Karman Award which is the highest Award of the International Academy of Astronautics.
- 2013 Inducted into Satellite Hall of Fame by Society of Satellite Professionals International' 
D. Litt. (Hon. Causa) from Kannada University, Hampi
D.Sc (Hons. Causa) from the Universities of:
- 1976 Mysore
- 1976 Rahuri
- 1981 Calcutta
- 1984 Mangalore
- 1992 University of Bologna (Italy)
- 1992 Banaras
- 1992 Udaipur
- 1993 Tirupati (SV)
- 1994 Hyderabad (JN)
- 1994 Madras (Anna University)
- 1994 Roorkee University
- 1995 Punjabi University, Patiala
- 1997 Shri Shahu Ji Maharaj University, Kanpur
- 1999 Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad
- 2001 D.Litt. (Hons. Causa) from Kannada University, Hampi
- 2002 Ch. Charan Singh University, Meerut
- 2005 UP Technical University, Lucknow
- 2006 Viswesvaraiah Technical University, Belgaum
- 2007 Indian Institute of Technology - Delhi
- Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences
- Fellow of the Indian National Science Academy
- Fellow of National Science Academy
- Fellow of Third World Academy of Sciences
- Fellow of the International Academy of Astronautics
- Fellow of Indian National Academy of Engineering
- Fellow of the Astronautical Society of India
- Hon. Fellow of the Aeronautical Society
- Distinguished Fellow Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers
- Hon. Fellow of Indian National Cartographic Association
- Fellow of Broadcasting and Engineering Society of India
- Hon. Fellow Aero Medical Society of India
- Distinguished Fellow of Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad
- Fellow of World Academy of Arts & Sciences, USA.
Professional Activities in International Arena[మార్చు]
- 1986-1992 Vice President, International Astronautical Federation
- 1988 to date President, Committee for Liaison with Developing Nations (CLODIN) of IAF
- 1997-2000 Chairman, UN-COPUOS (United Nations - Committee on Peaceful Uses of Outer Space)
- 1999 President, UNISPACE-III Conference
- 2007 Chairman, 30th International Antarctic Treaty Consultative Committee Meeting
- President of UNISPACE III Conference, Vienna in 1979
- Led Indian Delegation in COPUOS and S&T Sub Committee of COPUOS from 1980 to 1994, UNISPACE-II in 1982 and President UNISPACE-III in 2000.
- Chairman of the UN Committee on Peaceful Uses of Outer Space (1996–1999)
- U. R. Rao, K. Kasturirangan, K. R. Sridhara Murthi. and Surendra Pal (Editors), "Perspectives in Communications", World Scientific (1987). ISBN 978-9971-978-76-1
- U. R. Rao, "Space and Agenda 21 - Caring for Planet Earth", Prism Books Pvt. Ltd., Bangalore (1995).
- U. R. Rao, "Space Technology for Sustainable Development", Tata McGraw-Hill Pub., New Delhi (1996)
- DD to improve quality of programmes
- "U.R. Rao inducted into Satellite Hall of Fame". The Hindu. 29 March 2013. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "SSPI Announces the 2013 Satellite Hall of Fame Inductees". Society of Satellite Professionals International. Retrieved 2013-02-25.
- "Prof U R Rao inducted into the Satellite Hall of Fame, Washington" (Press release). http://www.isro.org/. 28 March 2013. Retrieved 3 April 2013. External link in
- Prof. U. R. Rao was married to Mrs. Yashoda Rao. "India's Pioneer Space Scientist – Professor Udupi Ramachandra Rao". karnataka.com. 2011-11-17. Retrieved 2013-02-25.
- "Prof. Udupi Ramachandra Rao - Biodata". ISRO. Retrieved 2013-02-25.
- "Indian Fellow". Indian National Science Academy. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "Prof. Udupi Ramachandra Rao - Awards Honours". ISRO. Retrieved 2013-02-25.
- "PANDIT GOVIND BALLABH PANT MEMORIAL LECTURE - IV" (PDF). Govind Ballabh Pant Institute of Himalayan Environment and Development. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "Handbook of SHANTI SWARUP BHATNAGAR Prize winners(1958 - 1998)" (PDF). HUMAN RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT GROUP - COUNCIL OF SCIENTIFIC & INDUSTRIAL RESEARCH. 1999. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "Award winners - Electronic Sciences & Technology". Vasvik Foundation. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- "SHRI OM PRAKASH BHASIN AWARDS". Om Prakash Bhasin Foundation. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- "Past Award Winners". Electronic Industries Association of India. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "Narendra Rai bags Yudhvir award". The Hindu. Hyderabad, India. 28 April 2004.
- "Gujar Mal Modi Award for Science & Technology". International Institute of Fine Arts. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- "LIFE TIME CONTRIBUTION AWARD IN ENGINEERING". Indian National Academy of Engineering. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- ఉదహరింపు పొరపాటు: సరైన
Timesఅనే పేరుగల ref లకు పాఠ్యమేమీ ఇవ్వలేదు
- "Scientists exhorted to have social sensitivity". The Hindu. Tirupati, India. 24 September 2005.
- "Award for U R Rao". Deccan Herald. Bangalore, India. 25 December 2007.
- "Award for U.R. Rao". The Hindu. Bangalore, India. 17 April 2008.
- "PROFESSOR U.R.RAO IS TO PRESIDE OVER THE PLENARY SESSIONS OF UNISPACE III". UNISPACE III - United Nations. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "U.R. Rao among 'top 10 personalities'". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 1 September 2004.
1984 - 1994